Calculating Yardage for Traversing Panels
One part of our job as window treatment professionals is to calculate the correct yardage for traversing drapery panels. These calculations involve several steps.
First exact measurements of the window must be taken correctly and in all of the right places. Be sure to use a measuring sheet so that you will not forget any important information.
Secondly, the finished width, finished length and fullness are determined. This information will need to be discussed with the homeowner and/or designer to make sure the drapery will cover the area desired. (We will be using the measurement for the whole window width plus the amount of wall to be covered on each side.)
Thirdly, we need to know what fabric and linings will be used. Does the fabric have a repeat?
After this information is gathered, we are ready make our calculations.
- Multiply the finished width by the fullness amount and add 27”. Then divide this number by 54” to find out how many widths of fabric are needed.
- Add the hem and header measurements to the finished length to get the cut length.
- Divide the cut length by the fabric vertical repeat to find out how many repeats it will take to make up one cut length.
- Multiply the vertical repeat by the number of repeats to arrive at the total cut length. This will be longer than the cut length. Round up this number.
- Multiply the number of widths needed by the total cut length. Divide by 36” for the number of yards needed for the whole window.
Once the face fabric yardage has been calculated you must also calculate the lining yardage using the same method.
Want an easier, faster, and accurate way to calculate traversing panel drapery yardage?
Seamless Workroom Traversing Panel Workbook will do all of this and more for you. As fast as you can type in the basic information, the workbook will calculate your fabric and lining yardages and pricing, trim pricing and yardage, banding yardage, labor costs, hardware costs, miscellaneous costs and sales tax for you. It also includes a workorder form, installation information sheet and change order form.